New Hanover Co-op Covid Policies
Important Store Policies and Updates as of Tuesday, March 17, 2020
March 17, 2020
Ensuring a safe and steady supply of food is among the highest priorities of our cooperative. Throughout this community-owed business, our employees are doing everything they can to serve members and customers alike.
The challenges presented by Covid-19 seem to change by the hour. To keep pace and keep you informed, we will issue an update like this, Monday – Friday at approximately 3 p.m. (and on weekends, as needed). Even on weekdays when there are no changes to report, we will let you know that so you are not left thinking you missed an email update.
HERE ARE TWO IMPORTANT POLICY CHANGES EFFECTIVE WEDNESDAY, MARCH 18
1. Beginning Wednesday, March 18, our three largest stores (Hanover, Lebanon, White River Junction) will use the first hour of each business day (7 a.m. to 8 a.m.) to serve the needs of customers at the highest risk, or those shopping on their behalf during this pandemic. The remainder of the day – from 8 a.m. until closing, our stores will be open for all shoppers.
We’re appealing to our customers who are not at risk to shop after 8 a.m. so that our stores are as safe as possible for our most vulnerable shoppers.
We consider those at highest risk to include:
- Older adults (commonly considered to be those 60 and older, as noted here)
- People with an underlying health condition, and those who have serious chronic medical conditions, such as:
- Heart disease
- Lung cancer
- Compromised immune systems
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women (although the CDC has not currently listed pregnant and breastfeeding women as being at being high risk, our food stores will be granting special access to these moms and moms-to-be. Click this link for the CDC’s latest statement.)
2. Beginning Wednesday, March 18, all four of our stores will offer prepared food pre-packaged and for take-out only. Our café seating areas will be closed. We plan to offer a broad array of foods pre-packaged in our self-serve cases.
In recent days, as shoppers have stocked up on large quantities of food at our co-op, we have heard wonderful comments from members and customers about the work of our employees. We agree that they are the best in the business. Just as they are available to serve you, please know that we have pledged to go above-and-beyond and do everything we can to take care of them and their families.
Finally, recognizing that many organizations are sending emails about this serious pandemic and its evolving impact on our lives and communities, we hope our daily release serves you and your family as you seek a stable supply of food. It is our intent to give you advance warning of possible changes to our hours and policies. Please feel free to forward it to people who you feel would benefit from receiving this news. Our website is also a source of timely information.
If you have further questions, please send me an email or call Allan Reetz at 802-765-2871.